Increase in breast fat
- This is actually medically known as ‘pseudogynaecomastia’ as it is not true breast tissue, it is just increased fat – usually from weight gain.
- Medication – many drugs can cause breast growth
- Liver disease
- Overactive thyroid
- Kidney failure
- Bodybuilders using anabolic steroids
- Rare tumours
If the breast growth is caused by hormonal imbalance, the female hormone oestrogen is more dominant than the male hormone,testosterone, causing the unwanted breast growth.
- How long has it been there?
- Is it painful or tender to touch?
- Have you lost or gained weight recently?
- Is it both sides or just one side?
- Is there any change in the nipple, or any discharge from the nipple?
- Have the testicles changed in size?
- What about libido and erections?
- Are there any other symptoms or signs?
- What medication is being taken?
- Any steroid use?