What is Hormone Replacement Therapy / HRT?
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is a common treatment used to help relieve the symptoms of the menopause in women. It works by replacing hormones that are at lower levels than they should be as you approach the menopause.
What is the menopause?
The menopause is when women progressively stop having periods and are no longer able to get pregnant. Periods start to become less frequent over a few months and then will stop altogether, however sometimes they can stop quite suddently.
The menopause is completely natural and part of the ageing process for women and usually occurs between the age of 45-55 as the levels of oestrogen decline in the body.
What are the symptoms of the menopause?
- Aching ankles, knees, wrists, shoulders and heels
- Hair loss
- Frequent urination and urinary leakage
- Sore breasts
- Varicose veins
- Dizzy spells
- Night sweats / hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness
- Depression & mood swings
How do women benefit from HRT?
Oestrogen progesterone and testosterone all play a vital role in the body, some of the benefits of balanced hormone levels include:
- Enhanced energy
- Improvement in mood
- Maintains bone density
- Relief from many of the symptoms of menopause
- Decrease blood pressure
- Helps to prevent glaucoma
- Increases concentration
- Reduces LDL and prevents its oxidation
- Reduces homocysteine
- Improves memory
- Increases water content of skin and is responsible for its thickening and softness
- Improves nerve growth and formation of neurotransmitters in the brain
- Reduces irritability, anxiety and pain sensitivity
What types of HRT are available in the UK/EU?
Balance My Hormones provide Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) only. It is possible to get synthetic HRT however it is not identical to natural hormones produced in the body and has a 50% drop out rate after one year of being on it. This is why we recommend and only treat patients with BHRT which mimic the natural hormones found in your body. If you are a suitable candidate for BHRT you can obtain it on prescription through our doctors and they may offer you the following ways of administering BHRT:
- Topical creams / Gels
How do I get HRT?
- The first stage of getting bioidentical HRT is to have full comprehensive blood test done which will tell us if you have a hormone deficiency, simply call us and talk to us about your symptoms or get started and order the blood test through the link above.
- Once your blood test results are back a doctor will speak to you and let you know if they believe you need HRT.
- You will be prescribed a monthly treatment which will take the form of either gels/creams or lozenges.
- Your hormone levels will be reviewed with further blood tests to ensure you are reaching optimal levels as you continue treatment.
- Balance My Hormones are here to assist you with your treatment and help answer any questions you may have along the way.